The Mountainside project is a 16 unit townhome development located at 413 Rainbow Lane, east of Canyon Lodge. Two of the units are freestanding units and 14 units would be within 7 duplex buildings. All units are 3 stories with 3 bedrooms and a 2-car garage. The original project, approved by Town Council in June 2015, consisted of a tentative tract map, variance, use permit, design review, and adjustment. The final map for the original project was recorded in October 2016.
In April 2017, an amendment to the approved project was submitted. The purpose of the amendment is to improve snow storage capacity and management on site by increasing the distance between the buildings, which requires a setback reduction of two feet along the property line adjacent to Lakeview Boulevard.
Amendment - Planning and Economic Development Commission 7/12/17
The amendment to the approved project will require a new Tentative Tract Map (TTM 17-001), an Amended Design Review (DR 15-001A), and an Adjustment (ADJ 17-006). The Amended Design Review is required because the modified site plan removes some of the pop-outs, changing the architectural features of the buildings. The Adjustment is required to reduce the side yard setback adjacent to Lakeview Boulevard to eight feet (two foot reduction).
- Draft Tentative Tract Map, dated June 29, 2017
- Council Resolution 2015-16 (approving the Mountainside project)
Appeal - Town Council 6/3/15
An appeal of the Planning & Economic Development Commission's approval of the Mountainside project was considered by the Town Council on June 3, 2015. The Town Council upheld the Commission's approval with modified language for Condition of Approval 42 regarding the dumpster location:
The dumpster shall berelocated to the west side of the project site subject to approval by MammothDisposal. This shall be reviewed and approved by the Community and EconomicDevelopment Director prior to grading permit issuance.
Please see the materials below for the Town Council hearing:
- Notice for Town Council consideration of the appeal on June 3, 2015
- Town Council staff report
- Draft Town Council resolution affirming the Commission's approval
- Planning and Economic Development Commission Resolution 2015-05
- Comments on appeal
Comments received after the Council packet was published:
Planning & Economic Development Commission Approval 4/29/15
The Commission approved the Mountainside project on April 29, 2015 with 3 additional conditions of approval:
- Approved a revised north elevation facade for Building C (buildings facing Rainbow Lane) that includes additional design details
- Required the west elevation of Building D (facing Canyon Lodge) to incorporate similar design details that were added to the north elevation of Building C
- Required staff to work with the developer on an analysis to relocate the dumpster to the west side of the property
The complete meeting packet and video recording of the meeting are available online.
- Public notice
- Staff report
- Attachment 1 - Resolution (findings & conditions of approval)
- Attachment 2 - Tentative Tract Map 15-001 (dated 4-1-15) (same as final submittal, below)
- Attachment 3 - Building floor plans and elevations (dated 4-6-15) (same as final submittal, below)
- Attachment 4 - Exterior materials and colors (Typical Materials Model - same as final submittal, below)
- Attachment 5 - Preliminary landscape plan (same as final submittal, below)
- Attachment 6 - Photosimulation (same as final submittal, below)
- Attachment 7 - Aerial of project site and vicinity
- Attachment 8 - Alternate Housing Mitigation Plan
- Attachment 9 - Interim Affordable Housing Mitigation Policy
- Attachment 10 - Biological Resources Assessment
- Attachment 11 - Commission minutes - March 25, 2015 workshop
- Attachment 12 - Public comments
Public comments received after the packet was published:
Final Submittal - Plans and Information
- Tentative Tract Map, dated 4-1-15
- Building A plans, dated 4-6-15
- Building B plans, dated 4-6-15
- Building C plans, dated 4-6-15
- Building D plans, dated 4-6-15
- Typical Materials Model
- Preliminary landscape plan
- Photosimulation [UPDATED 4/22/15]
Planning & Economic Development Commission Site Visit & Workshop 3-25-15
The Commission visited the project site (413 Rainbow Lane), followed by a visit to the Grayfox project (59 Hillside Drive) since the Mountainside project would use colors and materials that match the Grayfox project. Then the Commission then discussed the project in a workshop format.
The Commission agenda packet and video of the workshop discussion are available online.
- Staff Report
- Photos of Grayfox project
- Housing information, including Mammoth Lakes Housing, Inc. Board staff report
Original Submittal - Plans and Information
Please see Final Submittal, above, for current plans and information
- Tentative Tract Map
- Building A floor plans and elevations
- Building A color elevations
- Building B floor plans and elevations
- Building B color elevations
- Building C floor plans and elevations
- Building C color elevations
- Building D floor plans and elevations
- Building D color elevations
- Preliminary landscape plan
For additional information, please contact Ruth Traxler, Associate Planner, at (760) 965-3637.