Recreation This Week!
Never Have a Slow Day in Mammoth Again!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week- July 13, 2017
To celebrate Parks and Recreation Month we have a featured event each weekend. This weekend is our Coed Softball Tournament. Other featured events include our 1st Annual Beach Volleyball Tournament on July 29th and FREE swim day at Whitmore Pool on July 30th. For more details and a complete line up of events, programing, and activities visit us at mammmothrecreation.com #PlayOnJuly.
Parks and Recreation News…
- 1st Annual Beach Volleyball Tournament- Saturday, July 29th at Shady Rest Park. Entry is limited, call 760-965-3699 to register. This will be a 4v4, coed, double elimination tournament with great prizes! Get a team together and register today!
- Summer camps
- Starting Monday, July 24th we have the second edition of our Wilderness Camp as well as our Mountain Bike Camp!
- Mono Arts Council Kids Summer Camp: Photography starts July 26
- Men’s and Coed Softball is in full swing. Scores and Standings
- Whitmore Pool
- Week long swim lessons are available for next week (Monday- Friday) for all ages, register here.
- Lap and Open Swim Schedule
- ***FREE SWIM DAY- July 30th ***
- Community Tennis Courts
- Adult Drop-In Clinics are available for intermediate and advanced adults Tuesdays & Thursdays from 3:30-5:30, $10.
- FREE Sunday Social, every Sunday from 9:00 to 12:00
- Adult Tennis Camp and Social-July 25-27th at 9:00 to 12:00, $95. Call 760-965-3699 to register.
- Adult Coed Fall Soccer starts August 13th. Games will be on Sundays from 1-4 PM. Get a team together and register!
- Unbound Chamber Music Festival: July 20-29th at the Mammoth High School Auditorium. Full itinerary and tickets are available online.
- VC Bike Races- Downhill Friday, July 21st. Register day of starting at 4pm, races start at 5:30PM.
- The Village Summer Movie Series every Thursday and Sunday in the village. Tonight, Thursday, July 20th: Queen of Katwe and this Sunday, July 23rd Ghost Busters (2016). Movie education for the entire family!
- Yoga Lab Saturdays- start your weekend off right with FREE morning yoga in the Village Plaza every Saturday from 8:00 to 9:00 AM
- Friends of the Inyo Series’:
- Saturday, July 22nd Friends of the Inyo presents the second edition of: Born of Fire, Sculpted by Ice: Mammoth’s Unique Geology. Join Friends of the Inyo’s Trail Ambassador Alex and learn about the nature of the geology in and around Mammoth where volcanic activity meets glacial erosion. This is a non-strenuous, 2 mile hike of the Inyo Craters loop. Meet at the Inyo Crater Trailhead at 10 AM.
- Sunday, July 23: Muir and Mt Ritter. Ever wonder what a first known ascent of a 13,000ft peak might feel like? Luckily 19th century mountain man John Muir put his experience into thrilling prose. Join Friends of the Inyo’s Trail Ambassador Alex as we take in the grandiose view of the Ritter Range and hear about the father of the Sierra Club's mountaineering and general life exploits. This is a very short, easy walk to Minaret Vista. Meet at Minaret Vista at 10 am.
- Tuesday, July 25th is the last edition of Wild Harvest: Edible and Medicinal Plants of the Eastern Sierra. Join Friends of the Inyo’s Trail Ambassador Astra on the Parker Bench Trail just outside of June Lake for an interpretive hike introducing basic edibles and medicinals.
- Get Golf Ready at Sierra Star Golf Course-Junior clinics on Monday, Ladies on Wednesday. All 5 sessions for $99 or drop in for $30, call Sierra Star at 760-924-2200 to register.
- Yoga every Thursday, 9:00am, at the Eastside Bakeshop with Scott Saltsman for $12. Bring your own mat.
- Take a tour of the Valentine Reserve this Sunday, 9:30-12:30. Learn about the history, flora, fauna and what makes the reserve so special. RSVP required: email Carole Lester .
- RSVP for Crayons & Paint by Friday, July 21st. This event is presented by Eastern Sierra Land Trust on July 29th from 9:00am-3:00pm at Karen’s Preserve in Crowley. This is a free family day of activities, learning and exploration in the Eastern Sierra.
- Looking forward: Shakespeare in the Woods is back with Sierra Classic Theatre’s [LP1] presentation of As You Like It running August 10th-August 20th. The Ezakimak Challenge will be held August 12th. This is an uphill 5K sunset race from the base of Mammoth Mountain to the summit. Also, the Sierra Splash ‘n Dash will be taking place on August 19th. This race consists a pool swim and trail run for kids age 7-15 years old. Registration for both the Ezakimak and Splash n Dash is now open.
Check out our website at www.mammothrecreation.com or give the Parks and Recreation Department a call at (760) 965-3690.
All Recreation – All the Time!
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive
to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!